Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Book of Mormon Challenge= Harry Potter Castle



About 2 years ago Maybe one and a half, during our Stake Conference (this is a meeting in our church where all the local congregations meet together with their leaders) a little girl spoke about how her parents had challenged her to read the Book of Mormon, (she was 11) and if she did they would buy her a lap top. I had been trying to inspire our boys who were both baptized to do it on their own as well and be more dedicated to doing it not just casual. So Larry and I told them that we would buy them a Wii if they read the whole Book of Mormon. Well Santa cut in on that deal last Christmas but we told the boys that when they finished they would still get a really cool prize. Ethan came to me last week and asked me if the book of Moses was part of the Book of Mormon. I told him "no" that is part of the Pearl Of Great Price. He then informed me that he had read everything up till there. Which means he had read the Doctrine and Covenants as well! I think he was just going to finish the whole Triple Combination! (Which is is going to do because he just kept going!) (A triple combination is one book of scripture with the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price all in one book). I was so proud of him for finishing it!!! He has been working harder on it lately! Anyway we hadn't said WHAT the prize would be but I had an idea. Amelia had her birthday last week and had some money she wanted to spend so I took her to Toys R Us Friday after school and while we were there I grabbed this Hogwarts Lego set. I knew he would love it and I just hoped he wouldn't say, "oh I wanted a Star Wars Kit!" Instead he was over the moon! He worked all Saturday afternoon building it (he would have started in the morning but I made him do his Saturday jobs first.) He has told me several times since that I am the best mom a boy could want... I don't know about all that since earlier in the week (infact just the day or 2 before) he was telling me about how terrible I was and that I only had him to keep the human race going. I know I laughed too... but he was mad and I know he knows how good he has it he just likes to try to hurt me when he doesn't get his way. I am over it and remind him when he acts that way about how blessed he is. In just a few weeks he will be a priesthood holder and I am just so proud of him! He really is a great kid, works hard, is a great big help and a blessing in our home! Way to go Ethan on your Book of Mormon Challenge!!! Now the challenge is to do it again and again and again for the rest of your life!



Brock has been so excited about this that he is now rededicated to reading as well!!! He usually prefers to write in his journal when I give them their quiet time in the evening for reading and writing but I am pretty sure he will be reading as much as he can for a while. He is determined to get the Hogwarts Express train!

I had to include this picture of Ruth with her "Elmo" in a snugglie I got her. It is actually a kid leash. I ALWAYS said I would NEVER get one of those kid leashes.... well then I was blessed with Ruth. I love this monkey but going anywhere with her is let's say a challenge! So for her safety and my sanity we are going to give this a try. She loves Elmo so much I thought this might make it more fun for her. She does love wearing him around. We have not used it in the store yet... we will see!!!





Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Corinne Ritz said...

Wow, that is So awesome! Way to go Ethan!