Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cookies, Conference, and More



I have been pretty lazy about posting lately. Partly because I have been BUSY! Now that one major primary duty is done we are working on our Primary program for church. This is always a big thing for me, I shouldn't stress over it so much but for some reason I do, then I seem to crash as soon as it is over. So in a week from Sunday I will be feeling a lot better! Anyway on to things that are happening now!
Last weekend was our Church's world wide conference where we spend 2 days listening to our leaders. They give us direction, inspire us, and so much more. I have found with 4 kids it is just to much for them to go to the church and listen. We have been listening for the past few years at home from our Internet. Because we do this I try to have special things for my kids to do to help them listen to parts and then when they are to noisy I send them away so I can listen. I also make tons of cookies the day before so that they have something yummy to snack on and I don't have to think of what there is, can they have more. I just make so many they can eat as many as they want. One of my dear friends and I have made it a tradition to scrapbook together while we listen. (I actually listen better if my hands are busy.) She was on her way home from Disneyland this year so I was on my own :( Conference was so amazing. I felt like so many of the talks were written for me to hear. My heart felt so full I didn't want it to end. You would think that after 8 hours of listing to talks anyone would be done but I could have done it for another 2 sessions easy! The spirit was so strong, and I can't say enough about the primary choir! I doubt I was the only one in tears each time they sang. I felt kind of funny sitting at my scrap table with tears running down my face but it truly was beautiful and it sounded like a choir of angels! I don't ever remember there being a primary choir before but I loved it and I hope they do it again! Last week there was a conference just for the women and I went to that and came home and told my husband that Presiden t Ukdorf (sp?) told me that I needed to scrapbook more. Or at least that was what I heard him telling me. He talked about women having the need to create, and make beautiful things, and make unorganized matter into organized matter and make beautiful things for the world to see. I have a closet full of unorganized matter just waiting to be made into beautiful things for the world to see! (My friend Denise told me she thought this meant we were suppose to have more babies but I told her I didn't hear that part and she should not tell my husband that!:) Anyway I got so much done while listening!!!! I was so excited I finished 20 layouts!!! (To be honest 9 of these were done and I got them from a swap all I did was put pictures on them and added a title if it needed one, maybe journaling...) But 11 of them I did from scratch!!! Yeah me! I felt like I accomplished so much. I didn't really want to put my table away I felt like I was on a roll. But My house had suffered enough. But then I realized I have a month to finish a quilt for Hayden! (I always make a quilt for my kids when they turn 2. Because when they turn 2 we move them from crib to big kid bed. I don't know that I want to with Hayden because she is confined and there isn't a baby on the way to take over the crib so I think I am not ready. But I am going to do the quilt anyway and if the big girl bed is a problem it will wait. I had bought the fabric a month ago thinking I better get busy... Well now is the time. So Monday I started cutting and by Monday night I had all 30 12x12 squares pieced together! (Don't be to impressed I only sew strips of fabric together I never follow a pattern!) But I think it is cute! So today I cut the sashing and got all the squares put together and now have the top all the way done! I picked up a frame from my friend this afternoon and hope to have it all on the rack tonight before I go to bed. I would have it on already but someone had to fold laundry! I hate house work when I have other things I would rather be working on. (Oh wait I always hate house work! JK Not always I like a clean house I just let other things be more important sometimes!) Anyway We got the clothes folded so maybe I can get it on the rack tonight and start quilting. This is one of my favorite steps. Mostly because it doesn't involve my sewing machine that comes untreated, gets jammed, and I sew kind of crooked.... And I don't have to measure, or even think much I thread the needle and go to town! I have and excuse to have the tv on. (Not that there is anything to watch during the day anyway!) But I like it none the less. My sweat friend who I borrowed the quilt rack from offered to help me with the binding! This is my least favorite part! I am just not great at getting the angle cut right and getting the huge thing sew together very well. Once I have it together getting in on the quilt is my other favorite part. More hand stitching. This is funny because I don't ever hand stitch anything else like needle point or anything (it involves a pattern!) I am not much of a pattern person. Like with the quilt top I just do some basic geometry and make up my own thing. I like that part better then trying to figure out a pattern. Maybe I am just bad at following directions. I don't know what it is but I enjoy it more this way and it works for me! Anyway I am excited about the quilt. The colors are the same as Amelia's only different fabrics. I wanted them to go together since they will share a room and it is purple also!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow! Go girl. I scrapbooked too.I thought I did well getting 4 layouts done. 20- That is crazy!!! We get on TV and it was wonderful. Glad to hear the children's choir made other people cry too. I thought it was just because I was pregnant. Good job!

Denise G said...

Great work on all you have gotten done. Hayden will love her blanket.

Now-Now that quote is not exactly what I said, but your version sounds better than I am capable of saying.

I'm gonna have to watch your blog closer for other allegations. PS Rory mentioned you in her blog. I thought it was sweet.

Alli said...

I missed scrapbooking this year! I like the "need to create beautiful things" part. I sometimes think it shouldn't be important, but I know I FEEL better when there is beauty around me (that's why I hang around you so much!).

Mo said...

I'm impressed! I remember when I used to be able to accomplish so much, sadly those days are gone. The quilt will be beautiful.